Instructor: Ben Hamburger / 4 Weeks - 8 Classes / Jun 6 - Jun 29 / Tuesday & Thursday / 6:00PM-9:00PM Class Size: 5-8
Description: Both seeing and manipulating paint are skills that can be strengthened like muscles. During this 2-day per week class, we will focus on your growth as a painter. Each week, there will be suggested exercises or “painting challenges” meant to develop your painting and perceptual skills in various areas. Exercises will focus on skillsets such as color, composition/design, and paint application and can be catered to individual needs. Some may be practice at what you already know, others may push you out of your comfort zone. Through group critiques, we will look to identify and bolster idiosyncrasies that make your work unique and authentic. This class is for folks with previous painting experience and an understanding of fundamentals interested in pushing their painting abilities forward. Acrylic and/or oil painters welcome. I will be demonstrating with both.
Pre-requisites: intro/beginning painting and intro/beginning to drawing or equivalent experience
Suggested Materials: All materials are flexible and up to personal preferences. Feel free to reach out with any questions.
Paint: Students are welcome to use either acrylic or oil paint. Please have a full palette of colors that you have on hand. Below is a suggested palette that I will generally use for demonstrations. Feel free to experiment with other colors.
- cadmium yellow light or lemon yellow 37ml
- yellow ochre 37ml
- Quinacridone Red 37ml
- ultramarine blue 37 ml
- cerulean blue hue 37 ml
- burnt sienna 37ml
- raw umber 37ml
- titanium white 150 ml
- An assortment - Filberts, Flats, and or rounds: #’s 2, 4, 8, 12, 20
- Larger house painting brushes
Solvent/Medium (if using oil paint):
- Refined Linseed Oil–small bottle/8oz (painting medium)
- Gamsol, terpenoid, or other odorless oil painting solvent
- Canvas pad, mixed media sketchbook, or scrap substrate for small studies
- Sketchbook for notes/sketching
- Various painting surfaces, size and type determined by student
- Hamburger, Ben
- Skill Level:
- Skill Level: