Instructor: Reid Nicholls / 12 Weeks / Jan 19 - May 04 (No class Feb 16, 23 & Apr 06, 13) / Thursday / 6:00PM - 9:00PM
Class Size: 5-7
Description: Understanding Surface and Glaze
This course is designed to demystify glaze and surface decoration and to introduce students to traditional and contemporary methods for finishing their work. With extensive testing students will gain an understanding of the many techniques available throughout the ceramic process, while developing a visual archive to reference in future work. This course is open to all skill levels.
Core Course Topics
- Slip decoration
Employ slips as a decorating vehicle through various techniques.
- Iron oxide stain decoration
Employ iron oxide stain as a decorating vehicle in high fire ceramics.
- Terra Sigillata Slip decoration
- Egyptian Paste, self glazing clay decoration
- Technique layering
- Introduction to glaze testing
Learn the process for understanding and researching glaze.
- What is glaze? Develop a basic understanding of the material breakdown in glazes through class lectures and testing. Apply glazes on a series of ceramic pieces.
- Glaze blending, Employ methods for blending multiple glazes to achieve more nuanced surfaces
Supplies: Tuition includes a $75 fee for materials, i.e., clay, tools, and glazes
- Nicholls, Reid
- Skill Level:
- Registration Date:
- December 12, 2022
- Skill Lever: