Instructor: Chris Page / 13 Weeks / Feb 08 - May 24 (No class Feb 22, March 01, April 19) / Tuesday / 1:00PM-4:00PM
Class size: 5-12
Description: This is a drawing class for any level, although beginning drawing is highly recommended. We will make an historical journey back to 19th-Century France and replicate the curriculum that academic drawing students were required to undertake at the “École des Beaux-Arts” in Paris. Working from the so-called “Bargue Plates,” which were the foundation of the original course, students will spend approximately four weeks copying from lithographic reproductions found in “Cours de Dessin” (Drawing course) complied by G. Ackerman. The following four weeks the student will progress to copying plaster casts from the Academy’s collection. The final four weeks, the student will combine all their accumulated knowledge and draw from life.
Prerequisites: Beginning Drawing or equivalent recommended
- Pencils of various hardnesses
- for graphite, HB, 2B, F, B, H
- for charcoal, HB or 2B; nothing softer than 2B, or harder than 2H.
Charcoal sticks are acceptable, however, charcoal pencils will be needed for finer detail work.
- Graphite: TomBow, Faber-Castell, Staedtler, Mitsubishi, Blackwing.
- Charcoal: General’s, Conte.
- Kneaded eraser
- Eraser Pencils, standard and fine detail
- Compact mirror (any hand-held small mirror will do)
- Plumb line. (These can be made easily by attaching a length of string, 36” or so, to any weighted object, such as a lead fishing sinker or machine nut.
- Pencil Sharpener
- Utility knife
- Razor blade
- Paper: any good-quality brand, such as Strathmore, or Canson. Minimum size: 14”x17”, preferable is 16”x24”, 80lb weight. So-called “Drawing” or “Sketch” paper is ideal. Please stay away from bargain brands, off brands or sizes smaller than 14”x17” and do not buy watercolor (hot or cold press) paper or Bristol. White or Cream colored is best, but if using charcoal, gray or tan toned paper will work. Although cost effective, newsprint is not advisable.
- Sketchbook - Any smaller 4"x6", 5"x7" portable book will work.
Registration for Adult Classes will start January 17, 2022
- Page, Chris
- Skill Level:
- Registration Date:
- January 17, 2022