Instructor: Mahala Miller / 6 Weeks / Sept 16 - Oct 21 / Friday / 4:15PM-5:45PM
Class Size: 5-8
Description: Bring a story to life! In this workshop you will be the director, writer, and fabricator of your own short film. Explore visual communication, character design, and narrative building through producing a stop motion film. Students will design and create paper puppets along with props and backgrounds. Then develop a story board and finally, shoot and edit their film.
This course is designed to break down one large project into manageable steps to promote planning and follow-through among students. We will look at each other’s work along with screening contemporary and historical stop motion films. Students will be inspired to generate ideas and guided to fine-tune them resulting in a complete and thought out final piece.
- intro stop motion
- Watch Matt Bollinger notebook films
- Watch Laika animation breakdowns
- Discuss puppet making, share personal work
- Get started making puppets
- watch “Negative Space”
- Discuss story/narrative/plot
- Watch Tom and Jerry
- Discuss visual communication
- Continue work on puppets and backgrounds
- Introduce storyboard sheet
- Talk historic animation
- Watch “long live the bull” clip
- Continue work on backgrounds and props
- Animation station intro -walking sequence
- Begin filming
- Film or prepare
- Discuss critique and the editing process
- Screen films with time to discuss and share
- Make final edits/ reshoot
- Prepare for final screening with parents invited
Supplies: All supplies needed for this course will be available when students arrive for their first class.
Parents, once you register for a Youth Class, we will email you a form to complete with additional information about your child. Please keep an eye out for this email 1-3 days after registering.
*Youth classes have been designed by age to be as pedagogically appropriate as possible, but the Academy recognizes that there are special situations where students are advanced for their age. Please inquire with the front office if you would like your child to be placed into a class that is not within their age range. Thank you
- Miller, Mahala
- Skill Level:
- Registration Date:
- August 29, 2022