Instructor: Kate Samworth / 8 Weeks / Oct 3-Nov 21 / Sunday / 2:00PM-4:00PM
Class Size: 5-20
This is an introduction to the fascinating world of natural history illustration that combines slide presentations with studio assignments. We will examine the lives and motives of some of the great explorers and discoverers that gathered and illustrated specimens from around the globe. Each week we will immerse ourselves in a different field of study (botany, zoology, ornithology, entomology, and more) and examine the most beautiful or peculiar illustrations from Ancient Greece to 19th century America. Students will be guided through the process of illustrating specimens using graphite, colored pencils, acrylic inks, and colored pencils.
This class is virtual and will be taught through Zoom.
- sketch pad
- HB, 2B, 6B pencils (mechanical pencil recommended by not required)
- rubber eraser
- Acrylic inks: sepia, cadmium or spectrum red, cadmium or spectrum yellow, ultramarine blue
- hot press watercolor paper-90 or 140 pound (size determined by student's preference)
- colored pencils (primary and secondary colors plus black and burnt umber or sepia)
- bristol paper or student's choice of nice paper for dry media
- Samworth, Kate
- Skill Level:
- Registration Date:
- August 23, 2021
- Art History